Wednesday, June 13, 2012

buffet makeover- using chalk paints, Annie Sloan & homemade

So I had a dresser in our living room, trying to use it for diapers, toys, etc.  However the drawers need serious fixing, and the kids were wreaking havoc on it.  So it is now in our bedroom....and I have a new idea for it, but that will come later.


I went on Craigslist (of course) and bought a buffet for like $70.  It is Per-fect!  Holds diapers, blankets, toys- so much neater in our living area now!  The basement...well that is another story :-)
It is a heavy piece, and was dark brown.  Yet again, I seem to have not taken a good before picture.  I am not sure I will ever get better at that part! I have some 'in progress' though. Anyway, you can see the darker wood that it was.  I love yellow, it is one of my faves, and the dresser that was in there got so many compliments I decided to keep the same color. I did however, clear wax the entirety and only use the dark on some spots, whereas the dresser was done in all dark wax.



I did however decide to add some 'trim'.  I was out of white chalk paint though, so I finally got a chance to try out the homemade chalk paint.  It was super easy:

1 cup of flat paint in your choice of color
1 Tbsp of unsanded grout

Thats it!  And it works!  However, I have yet to find a way to store this effectively.  It basically dries up and turns into a brick.  So if you are doing a smaller job, just 1/2 your items (ie 1/2 cup of paint, 1/2 Tbsp of grout, etc).

So here is my final piece.  Loving it.  Hope you do too!




No comments:

Post a Comment