Saturday, June 16, 2012

Finally, we measure up! My DIY Measuring Chart

So I have seen tons of these Measuring chart boards on Pinterest and various blogs.  None that I thought quite worked with our decor. However I wanted one badly, because we were missing our precious opportunities to measure these boys....I had done all of Zanes measurements on our laundry room door in our old house, and of course didn't take the door with us.  Now if, IF, we ever moved, this puppy can travel.

My girlfriend Amy sent me a blog with one similar to what I created- I loved the really distressed look, but the modern color of the wood.  So I did a variation.

First I stained it a darker stain. Of course I missed a few photos in the process. Did you expect any less???  The ones I did get are in my dark dungeon of a craft room....ha.
Then I took chalk paint (my homemade version!) and I taped off the segments by feet.  I started the 1 ft mark 6 inches up the board, because whatever wall we were going to mount it to, I know it would need to mount 6 inches up due to floor board etc.



So I taped at the 6 inch mark, then a foot up each time. 
Once that was completed I stenciled on the numbers.



Then I took a hand sander and heavily sanded the entire thing, followed by 2 coats of clear semi gloss poly.  Voila!




We were going to put it up at the top of the stairs by the boys rooms, but my husband liked it so much he wanted it as part of our decor!  Now each measurement we will use a sharpie to mark it, date it and label to whom.


I have so many cool ideas for these, I think I might put some customizable ones on my Etsy store as well.  Will let you know when I do that.

Hope it inspires you to keep track of your growing babes.  It happens so fast. My boy who just turned 5 in April just measured in at 4 ft.  Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment