Monday, April 23, 2012

Bright and cheery sunshine project!

I am having a heck of a time lately getting this blog thing to work for me- all kinds of hiccups between my ipad and my pc....So thanks for patience.
Anywhoo, I wanted to show you something that I did quite awhile back.  Now that the walls have been repainted this awesome light pewter, all my colorful projects are looking awesome.
This one in particular is a fave.  I saw it on a blog quite some time ago- so long ago I cannot even reference it...  However, I do know that this was originally a wood piece for sale somewhere on Etsy. I saw it and my 5 year old said " mommy you gotta get that!  You sing that song to us!" well of course I had to have it. The price tag was may more than I could stand, so I recreated it.
This one is done on canvas, with a poster mod podged to it. 
First I created the poster in Illustrator and had it printed to size at Office Max. ($35 because I used a silly pantone match color- ugh)
I then purchased the blank canvas at Hobby Lobby ($12 with coupon) and trimmed the poster down to a bleed to place on the canvas.


I then mod podged the entire canvas with a coat, and started from one end pushing the poster across and on, readjusting a bit as needed, but once you start, you are pretty much stuck, so beware!
I smoothed it out with a credit card but still kept getting bubbles, like the paper was too thin and was getting too wet.  I panicked but a friend said just wait and see what happens after it dries.

See the bubbles if you look close enough??
Once it dried, the bubbles were almost obsolete!  It was crazy.  There were a few areas with creases, but that added to the distressing. 
Next I took a sandpaper wedge and distressed the sides and letters a bit.  This was touch and go, and wasn't going as I expected, but turned out fine.  I should have probably done the distressing in Illustrator or photoshop, but Im not quite there with that yet :-)
I then applied 2 more layers of mod podge. (Every time it bubbled, oy the panic...)
Voila!  She was ready to hang.
This was on my yucky old color, and the yellow clashed making the walls look even more pink...
I love yellow- but every time I was using it, this house looked more salmon and 'pink'. Below is on the new pewter color.  L.O.V.E.


Seriously, look at those gorgeous boys too?  Doesn't hurt to have those babes hanging next to it :-)

HOPE YOU LIKE! I have so many colorful projects up my sleeve now: I have a measuring board for the boys, a dining room table and chairs, a buffet/cabinet I snagged of Craigslist, a subway art piece for upstairs, and more- so excited.  Even more excited to be able to share the upcoming projects with you all!  Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment