Monday, February 20, 2012

Wood Poster completion

Wow- time flies when your having fun. We did so much over the weekend that I'm shocked it's Monday! That included a trip to Java Gym in Grand Rapids- the kids had a ball!  If you live in the area, check it out: www.javagymgr.com
Over the weekend I made a big decision to move my kids playroom and create my painting/project room. They seem fine with it- they tend to have toys everywhere outside that room anyway, so I'm creating the play area out in the main section of the basement instead. So now I can go from office to paint room within a few steps and watch the kiddies the entire time. Very excited about this part. Now I can create smaller projects right in the comfort of my home, not freezing my butt off in the garage. Summer may be different, but for now I'm fired up!
My first completed in-house project is my "wood poster". I love it- not sure it is a true fit in my house at this time, but the concept is awesome. Made with pieces of authentic barnwood, I first took the saw to a few ends, to get them all to approximately the same width. Then I scrubbed the pieces (they were outside at my folks house), and if you want them to lighten a bit just scrub them with some bleach water.

Next up was lining up the pieces how I liked, and picking my phrases. Then I started the stenciling.

Once I got them all done, I distressed a touch with some sandpaper, and then had the husband mount the pieces onto mdf, adding a picture hanger.  You can also just lean the wood poster on a shelf, mantle or dresser, but I made mine extra large, so it was super heavy.  For the sake of the children, it hangs for now :-)
So here is the final product:



I think it turned out well!  I am sure I will create a few of these for the Etsy store too.
What do you think???

Hope you love it, and it makes your Monday even more inspired!

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! If it was not so darned heavy i would order one and have you ship it :(

    ReplyDelete